Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mudpies and Hamburger Buns


Today we had 2 new baked goods at our house... a mudpie and hamburger buns. My daughter was so excited to make the mudpie - it was her first. Here is our recipe:

Mud (it was raining so we didn't need to make our own)
Grass
Leaves
Rocks
Freshly Milled Flour (firmed up the pie nicely when it got too watery)

Bake at 300 degrees until firm. Sprinkle pretties on it and wait until Daddy comes home to try to trick him into thinking it is a chocolate pie.

Hamburger Buns: I decided to try making hamburger buns to go with our beef brisket from Costco. I just used my regular bread recipe using freshly milled flour and formed the dough into balls but then I thought maybe they would be too spherical so flattened them a little - balls probably would have been fine (everything is an experiment right now so you can learn from my mistakes). I baked them for 16 minutes and they turned out fantastic. I think I could do 10 buns to a batch of dough so they weren't so big. Everyone seemed to love them and I have now added another thing to my list of things I will now make myself and not buy at the store again. These will be great to put in my son's school lunch since they are easier to handle than the sliced bread.

I will backtrack at some point and talk about the basics of milling but if I try to post everything in a logical order, I'll never get anything posted so just think of this as one of those movies that has lots of flashbacks.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try the hamburger buns. I have not been able to find a store bought brand without preservatives and HFCS. Thanks Leslie.

    p.s. we are making apple muffins today with our freshly milled flour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how the apple muffins turn out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete