Tuesday, September 28, 2010

How I got started milling flour

When I tell people I mill my own flour, I get a variety of reactions. Most people are just speechless and aren't sure what to say. Three months ago, I had never heard of anyone milling flour and thought the idea was ridiculous when I heard about it. When I met someone who milled, I thought "that's interesting.... why??" Then I started researching it. For an entire month, I read everything I could find on the topic. My favorite resource is the book Flour Power by Marleeta Basey. It goes into great detail about everything that never even occurred to me regarding flour. I found plenty of websites and discussion forums that didn't all agree on the details but overall it gave me a very clear message that I had to get a mill. I was able to find someone locally who mills her own flour and she graciously invited me over to let me taste truly fresh bread and see how easy it was to mill (thanks, Sommer!). I finally decided on which mill I wanted and ordered it. I chose the Nutrimill and have been very happy with it. I've been milling for about 6 weeks now. Tomorrow, I'll talk about how fast and easy it is to mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment