Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Gourmet Pigs in a Blanket

Today's experiment was to try to make pigs in a blanket using my own bread dough instead of Pillsbury crescent rolls. I figured that the homemade dough would make me feel better about giving them to my kids. Using the same dough I use for my bread, took half a loaf's worth and rolled it out like I was making sugar cookies. Then I covered with plastic wrap and let them sit in the sun on the table to rise. I then cut sections with a pizza cutter and rolled up cheese and a hotdog (Havarti cheese for me, American for the kids) - baked for 13 minutes. They were delicious and no guilt about eating the dough from a can. As I tell my husband, a few hours ago that flour wasn't even born yet. It was still just wheat in a bag. You can't get any fresher than that.

As for amounts... half a loaf of dough would make about 10 pigs in a blanket. I had way too much dough so I made the rest into crescent rolls in honor of Pillsbury. I've bought a lot of crescent rolls over the years but this might be the end of the line.

Check back tomorrow for my report on my Farmer's Market Stir-fry.


No comments:

Post a Comment