Monday, September 27, 2010

Homemade Caramel Corn

Our newest experiment is to make our own caramel corn. We always make our own popcorn on the stove but my husband took it a step further and tried making caramel corn. It was delicious when he made it - I am still trying to get this one right.

If you don't normally make your own popcorn, just try straight popcorn first. Then you can move on to caramel corn. Microwave popcorn doesn't count. I use a Whirley Pop on the stove. Making it yourself is so much cheaper and it has to be healthier when you control everything that goes into it. After I tasted popcorn made on the stove again (after several decades of eating microwave popcorn), I will never eat microwave popcorn again. I'm not really sure that my caramel corn recipe is the best and there are lots of other recipes on the internet so you can take your pick. Since we are trying to cut back on sugar, I think straight popcorn with a little salt is just fine for us but the caramel corn is a nice treat.

If you still want to stick to microwave popcorn, just google the words
"microwave popcorn" dangerous -- you might change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment