Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why am I blogging?

I'm going to back up now and answer a question I've been pondering for a while now. Why am I blogging?

It started with the flour milling - I really love everything about it and would like to share information with others who might like to try it. I won't try to re-invent the wheel so if there is already good info online, I'll happily just link you to resources when I can. I started milling my own flour in August 2010 and in looking for information on milling I found that there are definitely home millers out there but very few people have even heard of this. My hope is that I can build a community so we can share and build our knowledge.

Now that I am milling and baking more I have been making a shift away from overly processed foods. Our family has always tried to stay away from unhealthy foods but I feel like I had done all I could until I really began to question everything we ate and if there was a better way if I made it myself. This idea will be a common theme in my posts.

I also hope to leave a legacy for my children so they will have a solid foundation as far as what real food really is and how to make good choices now and throughout their lives.

2 comments:

  1. Leslie, I really admire what you are doing. I've never read any blogs so this is new to me. I've also never known anyone who mills their own flour. I can see that we have similar interests and personalities, but that is probably because we are cousins! I am really inspired lately by Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". It makes me want to change my life in a lot of ways. The best word I can use is "simplify". Good for you for taking initiative to do just that in such a busy and modern world. I will be looking more into your blogs as time allows, and also into milling. Any information you can give me would be great! Keep up the good work! - Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela - thanks so much for your kind words and the book recommendation. I told your mom tonight that you guys should come over this summer and stay here and go to Living History Farms. It is 5 miles from here and you would love it. I also admire that you are learning to play the violin - I have grandma's fiddle here and the one I used when I took lessons. It was one of Grandpa Dappen's. Neither are playable due to their condition but a nice keepsake. Maybe someday I will take lessons again.

    ReplyDelete