Sunday, October 17, 2010

Homemade Graham Crackers



Today we made graham crackers. Laura, my 4 year-old, helped mix them up and then we rolled the dough into a jelly roll pan to bake.  I don't eat graham crackers but Laura really likes them so I thought this would be a better alternative.  Ironically, she didn't care for them.  She said she likes the ones from the factory better.  My son, Sam, really liked them and was very excited at the prospect of getting them in his lunch.  He said they were much better than the ones from the factory (his words, not mine).

The recipe I used was from the breadbeckers.com site.  I love this website.  They have a lot of great information about freshly milled flour.  I altered the recipe by using brown sugar instead of sucanat (since I did not have any) and I also just made a half the recipe since it was my first time making it and I wasn't sure what to expect.  I also used dry milk instead of evaporated milk since I did not have evaporated milk.

If you like graham crackers, this is a great recipe to try.  Eating a graham cracker fresh out the oven made it worth the effort.  I would like to find a recipe to make something similar to a whole grain or multigrain Wheat Thin or Wheatables cracker.







No comments:

Post a Comment