Monday, November 15, 2010

Almond Cookie Recipe (gluten free)

This recipe for almond cookies is fabulous!  It comes from my friend, Angie.  You need a food processor to grind the almonds.  If you have a small food processor, use the recipe as is.  I take mine times 2.5 and it is just the right size for my 9 cup food processor.  I don't usually take the time to put the almond slices on and instead of drizzling chocolate, I put Nutella on mine just before eating but they are delicious plain also.  These cookies freeze well but they also seem to keep just fine on the counter.  I've added some of my own notes based on my experience.

2 1\4 C whole almonds
3/4 C sugar or sugar substitute
2 egg whites
1 t almond extract or vanilla
32 almond slices (2 T) - decorate top of cookies
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or coat with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.  I use a baking stone and don't spray it and they don't stick - I've never tried a metal pan.

In food processor, combine whole almonds and sugar: cover and process until finely ground.  Add egg whites and almond/vanilla extract.  Cover and process until well mixed.

Using a well-rounded measuring teaspoonful of the almond mixture for each cookie shape into a crescent shape or ball.  Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.  Place an almond slice atop each cookie.

Bake for 10 minutes, take out of oven and squash with a glass.  Put back in the the oven for 2 minutes.  Squashing the cookie seems to help the cookie bake more evenly - otherwise, it just stays in a ball and the center is not done.  Leave on pan for 5 minutes.  Transfer to wire racks; let cool.  If desired, transfer the warm melted chocolate to a resealable plastic bag.  Seal bag; cut a small hole in one corner.  Drizzle tops of cookies with melted chocolate.  Makes 32 cookies (that is a high estimate in my opinion though).



2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Can you post the recipe for the rolls you made for the Craft Fair? I would love to make those.

    Staci Gehlbach

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the same as my bread recipe - I added some recipe tips for the rolls in the comments below the bread recipe. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete