Saturday, March 19, 2011

Birthday Treats

Today was my husband, Darwin's birthday.  Of course, we had to celebrate with favorite foods.  Laura made lasagna (yes, this recipe is so easy, I just gave her the ingredients and she put it together - it is the Costco ravioli lasagna recipe.



















You might have noticed that Laura's hair is MUCH shorter so I am including a "before" picture for comparison.  We cut 9 inches off this week and it looks very cute.  I would have loved having long blond hair when I was a kid but she really wanted it cut and I am happy to not have to deal with tangles anymore.  We are sending her hair in to Pantene for their hair donation program so someone battling cancer can enjoy her hair now.

Laura also helped Darwin in the garden today so she was a busy girl today.  Meanwhile, I made a chocolate zuchinni cake (his request).  I used 1/2 cup dark cocoa, 1 cup of fat (half oil, half butter), farm fresh eggs, and freshly milled flour.  Luckily we still had frozen zucchini from last year. The cake was so chocolaty that it was almost black and it was so good that it needed no frosting.  This is the recipe I used:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Zucchini-Cake-907

I used 9 oz. milled soft white wheat and sifted the flour.  I do need to get a finer sifter to remove more of the larger pieces for baking cakes and cookies however this cake did just fine with a regular sifter.









No comments:

Post a Comment